Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunday Funday!

Finally get to see this smile again!
So, Trevor and I spent the night on the one man cot Saturday night...we are not as young as we used to be...and wow do I miss our King sized memory foam mattress! My parents came over at 8 am, and took a million pictures of Oakley. They both held him and snuggled with him, and got to see him smiling and not sedated. He was even taken off the nasal cannula and the tube that went down his nose to vacuum out his stomach acid! My Dad took Trevor and I to the Ronald McDonald house to get some clothes while he played arcade games, then we went and got lunch for us all. Mom stayed with Oakley and got some one on one time with him while we were gone.
They were planning on leaving at 10 am, but it's hard to say goodbye to us! It was so great to see them, and to get some time away from the hospital and breathe fresh air. They left later than they had hoped, but I sent them home with a disc of pics I hadn't had the chance to email them.
Just thought I'd share some funny ears
About an hour after they left, my brother, Zech, called from the Boise Airport. He was coming to Seattle for a business trip (I feel old when I realize my baby brother is old enough to go on a business trip!) and would get in around 6, but didn't have to start any meetings or anything until Monday morning. I drove to his hotel (sort of...I got lost and picked him up on the side of the road after he started walking to meet me) and we started to head to the hospital. I must have been in serious need of sibling time, because I missed my exit...and the next 15 or so. We ended up closer to Canada than the hospital. It gave us a lot of time to catch up though. We got to the hospital, ate some dinner, and Zech and Oakley got some uncle and nephew time.
And some more funny ears!
It was an amazing weekend for us. Oakley got extubated, we got some shopping in and were able to spend a lot of time with my parents, Oakley made it out of the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit), and was off oxygen, and we got to spend an evening with my brother all in one eventful and amazing weekend. I can only hope the rest of the week can match the awesome start.
The doctors think the time in PICU set Oakley back quite a bit. He was 5.35 kg when they weighed him down here on the SCCA (Seattle Cancer Care Alliance-He doesn't have cancer, but they do the bone marrow transplants) floor yesterday. They are going to try to arrange delaying his BMT at least two weeks, which puts at chemo starting on the 11th of October, and transplant on the 18th. We still have to hear from the donor(s) to see if that is a possibility, but that's what we're shooting for.

I'll miss Oakley staring at his tree.
Our tree that was outside the old room

I'll post another update on the happenings of Monday and Tuesday...with pictures from today!

No comments:

Post a Comment