Friday, November 8, 2013

Immunizations

It seems like everyone is talking about immunizations lately. Many are saying they contain toxic chemicals, some say they are why Autism rates are higher, and it seems like most people are against getting them. I am not one of those people. Even if immunizations did risk higher rates of Autism, they definitely lower the risk of death. Immunizations are preventative of scarring diseases. Have you ever met anyone with polio? I have. Have you seen anyone with measles? I haven't in person, but the pictures, and the morbidity rates are enough for me to know that I would never take the risk of Oakley getting it if I had the option to accept an immunization. Same goes for Mumps, Rubella, and Diphtheria.
So, you might ask, if Oakley gets these immunizations, and is protected, why do you care if my kid gets them? Great question. Oakley isn't allowed to get some of these until he's 2 years old, some until 2 years post-transplant, and some until he's 4 years old. 20 years ago, it wouldn't have been that big of a deal, because virtually everyone immunized their kids...and it protected those who didn't with the "herd concept." Basically, the herd kept the one or two that weren't immunized safe, because they weren't carrying the disease, and the unsafe remained unexposed.
One reason Oakley is still not allowed in large groups, is the current trend to delay or skip immunizations. A disease that a "normal" kid could overcome, could still be deadly to Oakley's new immune system. If you are researching the pros and cons of immunizations, I urge you to take a look at this from my perspective. I would LOVE to guard Oakley against these potentially life-threatening diseases, but can't. If you have the choice, be grateful that it's there.

http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4017.pdf

Healthy Oakley, we'd love to keep him healthy!



1 comment: